Laos Visa Extension

Laos Visa Extension

If you find your visa is about to expire and you wish to stay longer in Laos, don’t worry, it is possible to get all types of Laos visa (except for a Transit Visa), extended at the immigration office in Vientiane. It costs US$2 per day if you apply before the expiry date. However, if you leave it until your visa expires you will be fined for US$10 per day for the days you over stayed.

How many times or how long you can get your visa extended for depends on the type of visa you have. View Laos Visa page for more info »

Immigration Department in Vientiane

Department of Immigration

Here are options you can get your Laos visa extended.

Do it yourself:

    1. If you are in Vientiane, your Laos Visa extension can be done at the Immigration Office behind the Joint Development Bank (JDB) on Lane Xang Avenue, opposite the Morning Market (see map below). The office is open Monday to Friday, from 8:00-16:00 (closed 12:00 to 13:00 at lunchtime). The office is close for applications on Friday afternoon.

Location of Immigration Office in Vientiane


  • Your passport
  • One passport type photo
  • Service fee of US$3
  • Application fee of 2,000 kip (US$0.25) per person
  • Visa extension fee: $2 per day (normal) or US$10 per day (for overstayed days)
  • Lao expatriates age 65 years and over are exempted from Laos visa extension fee.

The process is straight forward, just fill out the application form then submit together with your passport and pay fees. In normal circumstances your visa is usually ready the same day.

If you only plan to stay for a few more days this option could work out best.

Note: If for some reasons you can't make an effort getting to the immigration office to get your visa extended but want to stay a few more days, then you might as well just stay as long as you prepare to pay the fine (US$10 per day). This fine will be collected on your departure.

However, be advised that this might not be a good idea if you plan to exit Laos at border check points other than Lao-Thai Friendship Bridge in Vientiane, and main airports as you might risk being taken advantage of by some not-so honest officials when it comes to paying the fine.

    2. Exit the country and enter again (Visa Run). This is most suitable option for holders of a tourist visa who wish to stay for more than a few more days.

If you are in Vientiane or Savannakhet or other provinces close to international border crossing points, you can cross the border to one of the neighbor countries then return and get a Lao visa on arrival at the checkpoint.

 If you are in Vientiane it is very easy, you can take a public bus (around 5,000 kip) to the Lao-Thai Friendship Bridge. Complete the immigration procedures on the Lao side; then take the shuttle bus (4,000 kip or 15 baht) to the Thai immigration point and enter Thailand. If you want to come straight back into Laos you simply have to cross the road to the Thai immigration to exit the country. Once again, get the shuttle bus and then arrive at the Lao side, where you can apply for a Laos Visa on Arrival.

• Your passport must have at least 6 months of remaining validity and a blank page for a visa stamp and don’t forget to take enough cash (US dollars) for the visa fee (see visa fee list) and two passport sized photos.

• This option can work out cheaper than $2 per day if you plan to stay for more than 20 more days.

Do it through a Travel Agent or a Specialist Provider:

    3. Get a travel agent or specialist provider to do your Laos Visa Extension for you.

Most travel agents can arrange a Laos Visa Extension for you with small overhead fee. This varies between providers, so shop around for the best deal.

This option is better for those holding visas other than tourist visas, because it involves more paper work and it's more complicated and would take you more time and money if you did it yourself.

I would also recommend this option to holders of tourist visas who plan to travel in provinces other than Vientiane Capital where there are no immigration offices and the visa run (exit the country and enter again) option is not possible.